Saturday, February 13, 2010

Scene 5...Take 1....ACTION!!!

(Just woke up and singin' in my bed)
"Good mornin'!
Good mornin'!!!
It's great to stay up late,
Good mornin', good mornin' to you." (Stretching lazily)
So I have always thought that musicals were only characteristic of Bollywood movies (Mariam knows what I'm talking about)... but well..I was wrong!! Prior to watching the movie, I had planned to look out and see if I could figure out all the cinematographic effects, as well as all the other fun things we've learnt in class. Believe it or not, after the first musical, I had lost track and count of what I was looking out for. I totally and absolutely loved "Singing in the Rain." With well composed songs and dance moves to go with it, the rate at which one gets pulled into this movie is really not surprising. These old movies do nothing, but get me thinking about the wonderful, God-given talents these people had, and eventually died with. If only brains were transplanted, I'd have sought the graveyards of all these awesome people..haha..

There is indeed, a lot to fall in love with,in this movie; the sound, the acting and the Cinematography. For a movie that was done to depict the transition from silent movies to "talking" movies, I think that a great job was done in getting the sound together. The shots that were taken at various points in the movie, are worth mentioning. Shots that took the actors dancing through a wall, shots that gave smooth depths of field and that shot of Gene Kelly dressed in a yellow slicker, hanging from a lamp-post and swinging his umbrella in the wild joy of his new love. The cinematography in that scene was breath-taking, as Kelly stomps through the puddles of water in the gutters, making big wet splashes.

The most interesting thing about "Singing in the Rain" for me, was the humor that was in this movie. There is great humor, especially in the scenes that deal with the technical difficulties of the early days of talkies. Lina could never seem to remember which flower arrangement holds the concealed microphone, and so her sweet, sexy voice(in my opinion) booms and whispers as she turns her head back and forth. Although this was funny, it really served the purpose of bringing out the main theme of the movie. The color-filled broadway scenes, also made the movie more interesting and "modern." In summary, "Singing in the Rain" was an awesome movie, and I'd definitely watch it again soon--maybe now..but until then,
"I'm singing in the rain
Just singing in the rain
What a glorious feelin'
I'm happy again"

*CUT*

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about getting sucked into the movie so quickly. The beginning was so interesting and funny that I put my pen down within the first 5 minutes and just enjoyed the movie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that you conflated the opening titles (with Kelly, Reynolds and O'Connor in yellow slickers) with the famous lamppost shot ... the whole point of the latter is that he isn't wearing a raincoat or using an umbrella, and doesn't care!

    ReplyDelete