Saturday, March 13, 2010

Scene 8 Take 1......ACTION!!!

For a movie that started off very nicely, got me interested and kept my interest up until somewhere past halfway, it is hard for me to admit that I didn't like "The Player." In last week's class, I deeply appreciated the importance and the relevance of the discussions we do in class after watching a movie. Thanks to these discussions, I would have had no idea what "The Player" was all about.

The movie started off with really wonderful shots and the interesting signature of Robert Altman; people constantly talking. It was interesting to see how this feature was maintained throughout the movie, with every scene leading on the other spontaneously without a trace of suspicion. However, as the movie came to a close, I paused, took a look at my "critical viewing guide", shook my head in shame and thought to myself "why is this paper still blank?" I had written nothing except for the words "Nudity, Language and romance."

"The Player" talks about a movie producer who had to have the time and the patience to listen to a countless number of writers, who all wanted their scripts to be picked for a movie. However, after receiving several postcards that threatened him, Griffin tries to find whoever it was. In the anger and his quest to achieve his aim, he ends up killing an innocent writer, and eventually fell in love with the victim's girlfriend. As interesting as it might get, Griffin Mills gets away with his act.

It was during the class discussion that I realized that although the movie had a lot of romance, nudity and other forms of languages, it belonged to the Film noir genre. It then made sense to me, why the parts of the movie were put together, the way they were. Robert Altman, the director also seemed to bring to the audience, the reality behind the movie business and what goes on in getting a movie studio running. He tried to explain the uncertainties that come with the movie businesses and the risk associated with being involved in the movie-making business.

Overall, the class discussions helped a lot by clearing up the confusions that I had whilst the movie was about to end. There is without a doubt,a lot to learn from this movie. It does bring the competition that goes on and the risks involved in getting into the business. No matter how confused I was, I came out of class with one thing learnt ; HUMILITY and PATIENCE conquers ALL!!! Thanks to Robert Altman!!
*CUT*

1 comment:

  1. Outstanding reflection on the movie and on our discussion! Altman directed the movie M*A*S*H, the basis for the TV series, and you might appreciate checking out other movies from his long career.

    ReplyDelete